ARE YOU A SMALL SHARK? ARE YOU ELIGIBLE TO PITCH?
November 7th, 2018, WISE will hold the 9th Annual Giving Back event, Small Sharks in the Big Lake, the Grand Rapids Non-Profit Pitch Competition. WISE invites local Grand Rapids non-profits to pitch to local business leaders.
Selected Grand Rapids non-profits will pitch judges for funding consideration. The WISE audience and a carefully selected corporate panel will hear each non-profit’s unique pitch. WISE panelists will then ask questions and offer guidance to increase each organization’s chance for current and future funding.
If you are a local Grand Rapids non-profit, or if you know a local woman or family-centered non-profit that you would like to invite to pitch, please read the following information on Grand Rapids non-profit pitch competition eligibility and have them complete the online application.
Submission deadline is September 24, 2018 at 5:00pm EST. Please note the schedule below for follow up and save the date to attend the fun event.
WISE Grand Rapids Non-Profit Pitch Competition Applicant Eligibility
- All organizations considered must be a local Grand Rapids area non-profit. Non-profit organizations located within a 30-mile radius of downtown Grand Rapids are considered to be Grand Rapids area non-profits for this competition. Please contact us if you are unclear if your location fits these parameters.
- The Grand Rapids area based non-profit must be majority owned and/or managed by a woman age 18 or older who is not related to any WISE founders.
- WISE encourages small non-profit organizations founded and/or conceived of by women. Female must hold key management role and be actively involved in the operations of the organization and participate in the WISE Shark Tank presentation.
- All non-profit entries will be dedicated to serving one of three categories: women, children or families. The mission of the organization is not limited. The mission/purpose of the organization can be; to feed, clothe, educate, care for, increase awareness of, etc.
WISE reserves the right to confirm that an applicant meets these requirements.
Grand Rapids Non-Profit Pitch Competition Qualifications
All non-profit organizations will be judged based on the same criteria. All submissions must be original work. WISE reserves the right to reject or disqualify any entry for reasons including, but not limited to:
- does not meet the eligibility requirements;
- violates any local, state or national law and/or appears to be unethical in nature;
- does not follow application directions or submits an incomplete application
What to expect as a WISE Grand Rapids Non-Profit Pitch Competition Finalist
The WISE Grand Rapids non-profit pitch competition will occur during the WISE 4th Quarter Giving Back Event. The WISE Pitch is a “helpful feedback-driven” pitch competition where chosen local Grand Rapids non-profits will receive constructive insights from Grand Rapids area women leaders. The objective is to receive input from the expert panel, introduce the non-profits to the WISE audience, award monetary prizes, while increasing awareness of each non-profit through promotions and presentation.
Three finalists will be selected to present at the WISE Grand Rapids Non-Profit Pitch Competition
Presenters will be allotted 15 minutes each to present to the panel and audience. The presentation format is flexible from a one-on-one discussion to an interactive or Powerpoint presentation, the medium is up to the presenter. Chosen non-profit presenters will be evaluated by judges who will select the winners.
In addition, a ‘Popular Vote’ prize will be awarded. The WISE audience will vote for their favorite non-profit pitch. Five dollars of each ticket sold will fund the popular vote prize.
WISE also encourages local professional women and men to donate monetary awards or services to the non-profits. We encourage WISE members and friends to consider donating funds, products or services that may benefit the non-profits. From office supplies to complimentary consultations or mentoring we hope each non-profit will receive value for many years to come. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a product or service that could benefit one or all of the local non-profits who are giving so graciously to our community.
2018 Timeline (subject to change)
Application Period – July 20 – September 24, 2018
Review Period – Sept 2018
Semi-Finalist Interviews – Beginning of October
Finalists Notified – October
Final Pitch Competition – November 7