Location: Celebration Cinema
Together with Mercy Health and the Greater Grand Rapids NAACP, we are thrilled to invite you to the 2018 Powerfully Pink Luncheon, featuring Jeri Lacks Whye and David Lacks Jr., and FREE movie screenings of “The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.”
The theme this year is “Empowering individuals to be their own best advocate.” Together, through the luncheon and movie screenings, we aim to teach importance of self-advocacy and starting community conversations.
In 1951, Henrietta Lacks was diagnosed with late-stage cervical cancer, leading to her death within the year. Henrietta lives on even to this day as her cells, called the HeLa line, became the first human cells to replicate in laboratory conditions. Her cells have changed the world of medicine forever, helping unlock the first polio vaccine as well as providing the foundation for groundbreaking research related to cancer, AIDS, radiation and gene mapping, among many more.
Here is the event day schedule:
Powerfully Pink Luncheon
- 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Celebration Cinema Wave Room
- Individual and corporate tickets available at https://komenmichigan.org/powerfullypink/
- Program includes organizational update from Komen Michigan, Powerfully Pink awards ceremony and a presentation by members of the Henrietta Lacks family
Henrietta Lacks Family Book Signing
- 1:00 p.m.-2:00 p.m., Celebration Cinema Lobby
- Open to the public
“The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks” Film Screenings
- 10:00 a.m.*, 6:00 p.m., 8:00 p.m.
- Open to the public, reserve your seat at https://komenmichigan.org/powerfullypink/
- *School groups are invited to attend the 10:00 a.m. screening. Henrietta Lacks family presentation will be streamed live in the theater following the film.
- Tickets for the free screenings must be reserved by November 6